UNIVERSITY OF FRIBOURG

The University of Fribourg (French: Université de Fribourg; German: Universität Freiburg) is a university in the city of Fribourg, Switzerland. The roots of the university can be traced back to 1580, when the notable Jesuit Peter Canisius founded the Collège Saint-Michel in the City of Fribourg. In 1763, an Academy of law was founded by the state of Fribourg which formed the nucleus of the present Law Faculty. The University of Fribourg was finally created in 1889 by an Act of the parliament of the Swiss Canton of Fribourg.

The University of Fribourg is Switzerland’s only bilingual university and offers full curricula in both French and German, two of Switzerland’s national languages. Students number about 10,000; there are about 200 tenured professors and 700 other academic teaching and research personnel. The Misericorde Campus, constructed between 1939–42, was designed by the architects Honegger and Dumas, students of Swiss architect Le Corbusier. There are five faculties: Catholic theology, law, natural sciences, humanities, and economics and social sciences.

University of Fribourg
University of Fribourg

Faculties:

  • The Faculty of Humanities is the largest faculty with about 4,000 students. They follow courses and seminars in the fields of philosophy, historical sciences, languages, literature, education, psychology or social sciences.

  • The Faculty of Law has about 1,900 students. The program includes national and international law; both subjects areas can be followed bilingual.

  • The Faculty of Theology is the largest and the most international of Switzerland, and, with Lucerne, it is the only state university in Switzerland to have a Faculty of Catholic Theology.

  • Approximately 1,900 students are enrolled in one of the four Bachelor programmes and one of the seven Master programmes of the Faculty of Economics and Social Sciences. The faculty is composed of four departments: business management, economics, computer science, media and communication. In addition, the international institute of management in technology (iimt) and the Verbandsmanagement Institute (VMI) are attached to the Faculty.

  • The Faculty of Science was founded in 1896 and has seven departments: biology, chemistry, geosciences, computer science, mathematics, medicine and physics. The Faculty is composed of 14 fields: biochemistry, biology, chemistry, geography, computer science, human medicine and dentistry (Bachelor), mathematics, neuroscience, pharmacy, physics, biomedical sciences, environmental sciences, earth sciences (geology) and sport.

Traditions

  • Dies Academicus – On this day in November every year, no lectures are held. Festivities begin with Mass in the Chapel of the Collège St. Michel. The members of the University then proceed to the Aula Magna (Great Hall) in solemn procession. After an address by the rector and a prominent guest speaker, honorary degrees are awarded. The student guilds attend in ceremonial dress including swords.

  • The Day of Welcomes (Jour D’Accueil) – Similar to Freshers’ Week in anglophone universities. New students are invited to the Aula Magna, where they are welcomed to Fribourg by the Rector and the Syndic (Mayor of the City of Fribourg). This is followed by a meal in the university mensa provided by the city, where new students are expected to dine with the rest of the faculty to which they have been admitted.

University of Fribourg
Library
Facebook
LinkedIn
Instagram
Show

True certified copy / Apostille
1. Bring or send the original document.
2. We make the copy or Apostille.
3. We send it to your home address.

Show
Show
Show